About This Project
Catalyst Housing is a charitable company which was created by BAF following research into the need for affordable housing in Taranaki with the aim of providing pathways to sustainable housing. Our vision is – ‘Within Taranaki those who need it have access to truly affordable and healthy housing options’.
To achieve this vision we aim to be a catalyst for change enabling dialogue and action that achieves:
- The provision of sustainable, affordable, healthy and secure rental accommodation for those who need it in Taranaki.
- The creation of pathways that lead to ownership of affordable and healthy homes for those who need it in Taranaki.
- The regeneration and growth of strong and stable communities and townships across Taranaki.
- A dynamic housing pathway that enables people in Taranaki to move towards independence through affordable and sustainable housing.
Having been involved as a catalyst working with Housing New Zealand and the New Plymouth District Council to navigate a redevelopment programme within the Marfell neighbourhood we have now identified the following priority areas moving into 2019 – low income families, elderly, those struggling with mental health issues, young people (especially those aged 17-18).
Our actions to achieve this will be:
- Advocacy, partnership formation and collaborative leadership drawing together local and central government, agencies, builders, landowners and communities;
- Creation of a regional affordable housing strategy;
- Growth of affordable rental and ownership stock through renovation and new build;
- Development of secure rental, rent to buy and shared equity systems;
- Operation of a Navigator role to support people on their affordable housing journey to ensure they are successful.